Monday, January 21, 2008

Asian Drinking Games That Will Last Days (Even Months)

So one of my friends from the Bay and I were doing long-distance TV watching one day (long-distance TV watching is when you and your friend watch the same TV channel from two totally different locations in the world and make snide little comments about the show over AIM. It's extremely gratifying and you get to feel the full force of 21st century technology.) when we both feel like getting long-distance drunk (long-distance drunk is when you and your friend drink the same brand of liquor in two totally different locations in the world and make snide little comments about each other on your cell's speakerphone. It's much less gratifying and has been heavily associated with alcoholism. Not suggested.).

So anyways, we break out one of her grandfather's ancient Asian Drinking Games. The ones that involve a lot of singing and drunkenness. It goes like this: Turn your TV onto a really popular TV channel, like NBC. Then, break out your bottle of sake. Everytime an Asian person comes on screen, scream "ASIAN" into the speakerphone and take a shot of sake.

When we started, I had a full handle of sake.

Hours later, I had a full handle of sake.

Days later, a rerun of Grey's Anatomy came on, and I decided to stop playing. To save my almost-full bottle of sake. (Best Buy has this commercial with an Asian salesman selling TV screens. It came on 5 hours into the Drinking game. I didn't actually see it. I was asleep when my friend yelled "ASIAN" and I took a shot of sake out of reflex.)

On that extremely positive note:

On Feb. 7th, Nickelodeon is going to premiere a new animated series on Nick Jr. called "Ni Hao, Kai-lan" (hat-tip, Hyphen Blog). It's a show aimed at preschoolers, and stars a little Chinese American girl named Kai-lan, and her grandpa YeYe. It's a show, in a kind of similar fashion to Dora the Explorer, I suppose, is bi-lingual, with Kai-lan teaching children Chinese, and her grandpa YeYe showcasing a bunch of Chinese customs and traditions (dumplings, lanterns, Lunar New Year, etc.etc.) According to the show's website, the show's goal is to go farther than what "Dora the Explorer" did and not only expose children to the idea of bilingualism, but also biculturalism.

You know what? I mean, I know it's like Mr. Corporate Nickelodeon, and there's probably a chance of this show just promoting stereotypes, and etc.etc. but I think I'm really looking forward to this show. Like really. Something about it makes me smile (maybe it's this picture of dragon boat racing: SO CUTE!)
Fig 1.1 Kai-Lan, YeYe, Her Tiger, Her Koala, and her DragonBoats! SO CUTE!

And I mean, I call my grandpa YeYe. Sure I don't call my little sister Kai-lan, but I mean, the world doesn't always have to reflect my life. And YeYe passed down Chinese customs and traditions to me. I've learned lot from him, and his hornrimmed glasses. It's about time he got some airtime.

And I mean, it sure speeds up the Asian TV Drinking game.


Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A said...

The game can't be that ancient if it involves TVs. Also, they make handles of sake?

This new Nickelodeon show looks incredible, not only because its going to produce an entire generation of yellow fever kids, assuming its successful. White people love Asian shit. (Thank You For Smoking? Anyone?)

I'm in the School of Foreign Service, which pretty much means whatever major I choose will be "International ______." I'm thinking International Politics; I love IR.

By the way, I was very disappointed to not see any entries up for "Jesse Cheng, Not A Rapper." Get on that.

(Sorry for the weird "comment deleted" thing that just showed up. I didn't know Blogger kept track of when things were deleted.)